Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Food Illnesses and a New Roommate - not related items :-)

The cooking of the chicken was a bit of a production, and while the meat tasted rather different than any chicken I've had before, it was ok.  I'm not in any rush to repeat the process, especially considering the undeveloped eggs and the unidentified organs that were still inside...

In the meantime, I've managed to spend a fair bit of time lately with food related sickness.  First it was a very poor decision to see if I still am allergic to eggplant.  I am.  That was a full night with chills fever and stabbing pain wrapped up in the fetal position.  Then there was an incident with some beef that apparently was not good.  This time it included unbelievable nausea, stabbing headaches, and unbelievable back and shoulder pain.  After some time again doubled over in bed trying to sleep it off, and some ginger-chicken broth, I am at the moment back up and moving.  The lesson at the moment seems to be that I'm going to lay off of the cooking of meat at home, or at the very least being quite a bit more careful where I purchase the meat.

I'm also happy to report that my long-awaited couch arrived.  Well, for the moment all that has come has been the frame, but this is a mighty improvement.  It is quite nice, made for me by acarpenter by my landlord, which was also quite kind.  She's working on the chushions at the moment, which should be ready in the next few days.  And when she was here last shee made arrangements to get me both a small table for use on the balcony and a small table for the TV.  My guess is that it'll take a month, but I think it's quite nice that she's been so good about trying to make sure I have everything that I need.  Ever since I moved in she's actually been wonderful.  Installing curtains, putting up shower rods, fixing curtain rods that weren't properly done, contracting to have the couch made, and now the tables.  Needless to say, I'm quite happy to have ended up here.

I also have a new roommate as of tonight.  My friend Kiran was looking for a place after her landlord randomly decided to move to Burundi, so we talked, and now she's renting a room in the north wing.  The timing works out perfectly as well, because she leaves just a few days before mom arrives.  I think it will be great having someone else around as well.

We went out to an Itallian place close to my appartment Sunday (Sole Luna) and it was great.  Even good calamari which was an enormous surprise to me.  That said, I've been craving random things that I just cannot seem to find here, or are totally unavailable in Rwanda.  On that list at the moment are lemons, diet dr pepper, blue cheese, dried cranberries, and arugula.  Actually, all of those together in a salad with the ddp to drink sounds lovely at the moment.  Oy.  In any event, I had some great orange, avacado, and onion salad with balsamic and olive oil dressing.  I must say that it was one of the better things I've had to eat since I arrived!

Tomorrow night we're all having movie night at my place, which should be fun.  Especially now that I have a reigon 1 DVD player and can actually play all of my dvds on a screen other than the computer!  And while I do love the computer, it's not the same as being able to sit on the couch and watch a movie on the tv.

Anyway, back to hounding people to respond to my emails at the moment.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment