Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mixing Dirt - Red and Brown, with unexpected help

This weekend I went and purchased some terra cotta planters to put on the deck.  After a friend's recent visits with fresh vegetables in tow from her garden in Musanze, I decided that I needed to start my own small garden - even if it was just on the patio in planters.

Along with the planters I purchased three large bags of dirt.  Let's just say that this was the "richest" dirt I have ever purchased, and I have been a bit worried that it is too "rich" for things to grow in it.  It was also tremendously wet, so I have been letting it dry out a bit and mixing it periodically.

This morning our houseboy saw me mixing dirt and after an unsuccessful communication between us involving him picking up dirt from the ground and dropping it several times, he showed up at the door... with a bucket of red dirt.  He is currently hauling buckets of red dirt into the apartment patio and mixing them into the dirt in the planters.  My best guess at this juncture is that he has expressed the same concerns as me, and is fixing the mix between brown and red dirt in the planters, though as I speak virtually no Kinyarwanda and he speaks no French or English, it is rather difficult to tell.

Today is another beautiful day in Kigali, though there is a bit of smog in the air.  Today's adventures will include attempting to purchase seeds for the garden and checking to see if the construction equipment has been removed from in front of the archive shelves - so that I can actually get to the materials!

No comments:

Post a Comment